A Smoother Pebble


« Home

Why 'A Smoother Pebble'?

Reflecting on his life’s work, Isaac Newton said:

“I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me.”
From this passage I take my title ‘A Smoother Pebble’ and two points:

1) Newton extended our knowledge of the universe more than anyone else in history, but even he felt impotent in the face of the unknown. None of us are Newtons, and all that we can hope to do, in our search for knowledge, is to entertain ourselves with amusing ideas and interesting nuggets of information; like the boy on the shore looking for pebbles and seashells. On this blog I will store my collection.

2) The internet is vast. If the millions of websites were the sand and stones on a beach this blog would be just one tiny pebble, and couldn't ever stand out from the many, many others. But I hope that you will find it worth your time.

The main purpose of this post is to clarify what this blog will be, and what it will not. I will post about whatever I find interesting- politics, history, economics, philosophy, culture, books, music, maths, science … I just want to amuse myself and any readers I get. ‘A Smoother Pebble’ will be a mixture of longish essays and shorter, lighter posts. It will not be a personal blog.

Who am I? I am a university student. I have just turned 21. I am Australian, and libertarian(ish).

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I’ll begin.

0 Responses to “Why 'A Smoother Pebble'?”

Post a Comment

Links to this post

Create a Link